[R] mgcv stopped working mid-session

Bryan Althouse balthouse at wisc.edu
Sun Feb 26 06:36:10 CET 2012

Hello,
I am working in R 2.13.2 GUI 1.42 Leopard build 32-bit (5910) on a MacBook Pro. I am working with a data frame of 22 columns and approximately 7,100 rows. I have been using the package scatter3d routinely to work similar data sets. However, when I tried to use scatter3d to work with this new data set I get the following message...

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/mgcv/libs/i386/mgcv.so':
  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/mgcv/libs/i386/mgcv.so, 6): Library not loaded: @rpath/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/mgcv/libs/i386/mgcv.so
  Reason: image not found
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'mgcv'

I don't understand why this has happened since I was using the scatter3d package just fine, Then when I created a new data frame a few minutes later (that is literally the only change I have made) scatter3d just stopped working and I got the above error message. When I try to load mgcv on its own, it won't load and I get the same message. I tried re-instaling mgcv and loading that in, but that did not work either.

I have gotten this message with other packages that have worked fine in the past such as VGAM.

Any insight you may have into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Bryan Althouse
Graduate Student