[R] Help with rJava

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Mon Feb 27 22:20:01 CET 2012

I am trying to invoke an in house developed java program from R and am
running into some confusing issues.

I've written this function:

DoNormalSkew <- function() {
.jaddClassPath("U:/development/software/untilities/ELVeSkew/dist/ELVeSkew.jar")
.jpackage("U:/development/software/utilities/ELVeS/dist/ELVeSkew.jar")
.jcall("java/lang/System", "V", method=Main.main(),
    "U:/development/software/utilities/ELVeSkew/test/csv",
   "U:/development/software/utilities/ELVeSkew/test/out.csv"
}

When I run this the function returns the following:

Error in .jcall("java/lang/System", "V", method=Main.main(),
"  "U:/development/software/utilities/ELVeSkew/test/csv",  :
 could not find function "Main.man"

I have searched on line for examples and have not found any that can
explain this process clearly.
1.)  Do I need each of the statements for .jaddClassPath and .jpackage ?

2.)  Can  you help me understand the .jcall statement better, am I at least
on the right track?

3.) The java program arguments include an input file and output file, these
are given in the last 2 lines of the function.

I'm working on a Windows XP machine,  R version 2.14.1
packages updated today 2/27/2012

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282