[R] Non linear regression with complex equation

jeff_hawkes j.hawkes at noc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 21:25:16 CET 2012

Hi all,
Is it possible to model a function where the unknown parameter appears both
in the fitted equation AND in the determination of other parameters?  E.g.

y = a^2 + b/2 + k

where a = 2/k  and b = k^2

and the model needs to determine k?  I know this is a very simple equation
(its just an example), the one I am modelling is much more complicated!

k appears in the equation which the n.l.r model fits, but it also affects
other parameters in the equation.  Please let me know if you know a way of
achieving this.  I realise it is possible to set up a loop where the
modelled value for k is fed back in to a and b, and the model is run again -
but it seems like there should be a more elegant way within one run of the
model.

Thanks,
Jeff