[R] Error: could not find function "hier.part"

haiyan tucsonaugust at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:27:54 CET 2012

Error: could not find function "hier.part"
things I have tried:

1. reinstall R (lastest version,  on windows XP)
2. install package "gtools"
3. include:
library(gtools)
require(gtools)
4. how I call this function:
hier.part(c$Y, xdata, fam = "gaussian", gof = "Rsqu")

5.when I try to check what's in the package "gtools", I get (hier.part is
not included):

> gtools:: <TAB>
gtools::addLast             gtools::ask                 gtools::assert
gtools::binsearch           gtools::capture
gtools::checkRVersion
gtools::combinations        gtools::ddirichlet          gtools::defmacro
gtools::even                gtools::foldchange
gtools::foldchange2logratio
gtools::inv.logit           gtools::invalid             gtools::keywords
gtools::logit               gtools::logratio2foldchange gtools::mixedorder
gtools::mixedsort           gtools::odd                 gtools::permutations
gtools::permute             gtools::quantcut            gtools::rdirichlet
gtools::running             gtools::scat
gtools::setTCPNoDelay
gtools::smartbind           gtools::sprint              gtools::strmacro

I am new to R, and I googled everything about the error message. I don't
really understand what is "requires the gtools package in the gregmisc
bundle". tried to install package"gregmisc", did not help.

Could someone please help?
Thank you very much,