[R] need help with connecting to SQL Server2008 Express with RJDBC

cvez vez.schen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:00:51 CET 2012

i have been trying RJDBC for many hours but still failed to connect  to my
sql server.
platform: win7 professional; SQL server 2008 express;

the code is :
drv <- JDBC("com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver",
"C:/Users/myname/sqljdbc_3.0/enu/sqljdbc4.jar");
dbConnect(drv,"jdbc:sqlserver://mypc/MyDB:1433;databaseName=bkt1;")

and I got this err message:
jcall(drv at jdrv, "Ljava/sql/Connection;", "connect", as.character(url)[1],  :
  com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to
the host cvez-PC/MyDB, port 1433 has failed. Error: "null. Verify the
connection properties, check that an instance of SQL Server is running on
the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall
is blocking TCP connections to the port.".

I have turned down MS fire wall and I have opened port 1433,  as you can see
in this pic  http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4268704/sql_port_config.png

Any help will be appreciated, thank you very much!