[R] Error using qda on the spambase training dataset

Ravi Kulkarni ravi.kulk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 17:18:21 CET 2012

Hello,
  I am trying to run the code for quadratic discriminant analysis with the
Spambase data set following the code example in the book "R in a Nutshell"
by Joseph Adler (page 443).
  The line of code:
                                   > spam.qda <- qda(formula=is_spam~.,
data=spambase.training)

  gives me an error:
                                     Error in qda.default(x, grouping, ...)
: rank deficiency in group 1

  (There really is a "tilde" after is_spam in the code, only on this
web-page it appears as a hyphen :)
  Can someone please tell me why it does not work with me but appears to do
so in the book? I am using R version 2.13.0.

  Thanks,
    Ravi