[R] Open Street map problem

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:55:44 CET 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 14:22 , Alaios wrote:

> Dear all,
> I would like to use R to create a map , with some points with no copyright. I am trying to use the open street map interface of Rgooglemaps package.
>
> It seems that I am getting internal server error
> source('make2DaysMaps.R')
> [1] "http://tile.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/export?bbox=-74.02132,40.69983,-73.98622,4072595&scale=20&format=png"
> versuche URL 'http://tile.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/export?bbox=-74.02132,40.69983,-73.98622,4072595&scale=20&format=png'
> Fehler in download.file(url, destfile, mode = "wb", quiet = FALSE) :
>   kann URL 'http://tile.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/export?bbox=-74.02132,40.69983,-73.98622,4072595&scale=20&format=png' nicht öffnen
> Zusätzlich: Warnmeldung:
> In download.file(url, destfile, mode = "wb", quiet = FALSE) :
>   Öffnen fehlgeschlagen: HTTP Status war '500 Internal Server Error'
>

> Have you ever had this type of problem in the past?

Well, the problem is at the server end, nothing to do with R, unless RGooglemaps is sending invalid requests, in which case, you need to take it up with the package maintainer. You get the same error from that URL in a web browser.

Offhand, I'd suspect a missing . in 4072595, but supplying one just turns the error into "Map too large".