[R] 64bit R under 32bit winxp

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 12:27:19 CET 2012

On 11/01/2012 08:55, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> You cannot install 64-bit R on 32-bit OS,

Technically, you can (but by default the packaged installers will refuse
to do so).  What you cannot do is run 64-bit R on a 32-bit version of
Windows: the OS will refuse to run the executables (and if it is old
enough, not even recognize them).

The only reason for mentioning this is for the record.  People do drag
up R-help postings from years past (someone recently sent me a response
to one from the 1990s).

We do plan to allow both versions of R to be installed on 32-bit Windows
in the future (with a warning).  You still will not be able to run them,
but you will be able to make binary packages for both versions: also
this could be useful for system-wide installations from a 32-bit server OS.

 > but you can install a 32-bit R on a 64-bit OS, and you can later
install 64-bit R as well. That is, installing 32-bit R does not
interfere with your option to later install a 64-bit R.