[R] general question on Spotfire

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:17:28 CET 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 16:28 , Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 12-01-11 10:13 AM, John Smith wrote:
>> Dear R users,
>>
>> I have been using R for 10 years, and I love it very much. But in my daily
>> job for drug discovery, some people use Spotfire. I tried Spotfire on
>> couple of data sets. It sounds I still need do some data manipulation
>> before plot figures. For example, I can not plot figure with data arranged
>> in rows (is this true, or I am stupid?).   So far I don't feel any benefit
>> Spotfire can provide over R. I am just wondering whether it just because I
>> am new to Spotfire, or it's true that Spotfire is not a good tool for
>> statistician.
>>
>> Also could anyone give me any suggestion how to learn Spotfire?
>
> Shouldn't you be asking this question to Spotfire users?

Just to clue in the casual reader, Spotfire embeds a version of S+, which is, er, sort of, like, a predecessor to R, so John is not completely off target.

Documents comparing R and S+ should be useful to him. There are books that are "bilingual", such as Venables and Ripley MASS and S Programming, but I also spotted this on TIBCO's own site:

http://spotfire.tibco.com/community/blogs/stn/archive/2010/11/04/differences-between-r-and-spotfire-s.aspx

Also, there are (claimed to be) facilities to integrate R itself in Spotfire, which could be a rather expedient solution.