[R] New to R, Curious about Project Idea

Antonio Rodriges antonio.rrz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 09:06:03 CET 2012

Phil,

You should look onto sp package which is the base for any other
spatial packages in R
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sp/index.html

Also notice "Reverse depends" section where you can find a lot of
useful packages for spatial operations and analysis.

For loading shape files, "maptools", "rgdal" and similar packages will help you.

You can read on-line "Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R"
http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-0-387-78171-6#section=147788&page=1
which contains a lot of examples to work and analyze spatial data in R
(the authors of the book are also the authors of "sp" and other
spatial packages in R)

Very important package is "rgeos" that contains all GIS functions:
covers, intersects, inside, ....

You can also find ideas in
Clemens Reimann - Statistical Data Analysis Explained. Applied
Environmental Statistics with R – 2008
(however it does not contain R code)

>> Good morning,
>>
>> I am a student whom is currently working on a term project for my GIS
>> Program. I am looking for a software package which can aid me in my
>> project,
>> and I was curious if R would be able to address my goals.
>>
>> My project includes  power outage data from a hydro company (point data,
>> with UTM coordinates attached), which is available in an Access database,
>> or
>> in a Shapefile.
>>
>> I would like to be able to take this poweroutage data, and then perform a
>> spatial analysis of this data, perhaps as a hot-spot analysis, or in a
>> points per raster square style analysis.
>>
>> With the completed analysis, I would like to be able to use an open source
>> web mapping platform to display it for the 'company' I am performing this
>> for as part of my project.
>>

>> Any insight you could provide me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil

Kind regards,
Antonio Rodriges