[R] using "list=" to force evaluation before execution

R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com> michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:04:59 CET 2012

Nope - you misunderstand entirely. Both of those functions have an argument named "list" and the code you quote is just the standard way of using a named argument. It could just as well read

rm(salmon = ls())

but that would be absurd. The list argument gets its name from the fact it (usually) takes a list**, no more no less.

Michael

**Not strictly true here as ls() doesn't return a list, but just go with it. It's a vector of names, not a list in the data structure sense.