[R] remoting ESS/R with tramp

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Thu Jan 12 22:27:00 CET 2012

Tom Roche Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:56:25 -0500
>>> * I have access to the cluster [where I want to run R] configured
>>>   [in .ssh/config] such that I can `ssh t` from commandline.

>>> 1 I can open an R file on the cluster with
>>>   `C-x C-f /t:/home/me/onlyOrigDN2.r`
>>>   from my laptop, and note the following

>>> *Messages*

>>>   If I do `C-h m` in the resulting buffer, I get

>>> 2 From the resulting buffer, if I run `M-x R`, I get the following
>>>   prompt and default response in the minibuffer:

>>>   If I accept that (i.e., hit Enter) I get

>>> *Messages*

>>>   followed by the same minibuffer prompt and default response (but
>>>   no error message or buffer=*ESS-errors*).

Rodney Sparapani Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:09:18 -0600 (rearranged)
>> This may be no solace, but it just works for me out of the box.

It's comforting in that it validates my belief that this *should* work.
(And also that some ESS docs, e.g.,

http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#ESS-processes-on-Remote-Computers

need updating. I mean, tramp's been part of GNU emacs since ... 21? 22?)

>> I just remotely tramp a file. Then, in that buffer do a M-x R
>> For me, that opens a remote R session; no ssh.el required.

When you do `M-x R`, what prompt and default response do you get?
I'm thinking I need to play with tramp method ...

>> The one exception is that graphics don't pop open

Rodney Sparapani Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:16:27 -0600
> The graphics issue seems to be related to the fact that (for me)
> while using tramp, the DISPLAY variable is unset. This is not really
> an ESS issue per se,

Dunno: it could be an ESS issue or a tramp issue. Worth looking into
... after I get the base functionality working :-)