[R] GGplot controlling point size across range

Darran King darran.king at csiro.au
Fri Jan 13 00:27:17 CET 2012

Hi all

New to R and GGplot2 but loving the potential. I am trying to plot four
separate point plots by looping over the data and plotting a different
subset each time.

When I plot the data as a point plot, the size of the points is determined
by the data values used as below

qplot(accum_rain, accum_g_radn, data = clim_sub[[i]], size = avgyld, colour
= avgyld)

The problem is that i want all four plots to be comparable, so a point size
representing avgyld = 2000 should be the same on all four plots. However as
the data for some plots has a smaller range than others and the plots are
automatically scalling to the range of data in each plot, and the largest
point is always assigned to the largest value a plot with a top value of say
5000 with be represented with the same size point as a plot with a top value
of 7000.

Any tips on how to scale the point sizes to a defined range of classes and
still plot the actual data to those classes?