[R] Coloring counties on a full US map based on a certain criterion

Dimitri Liakhovitski dimitri.liakhovitski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 19:41:01 CET 2012

Thank you somuch, Sarah. I tried, and it's working just wonderfully
(code below).
One last question, if I may: is it possible to get rid of borders
between counties (just leave the fill)? I did not find this argument
in help...
Thank you!
Dimitri

### My criterion for all counties.:
allcounties<-data.frame(county=map('county', plot=FALSE)$names)
allcounties$group<-c(rep(1:6,513),rep(1,4))[order(c(rep(1:6,513),rep(1,4)))]
### My colors:
classcolors <- rainbow(6)
map('county',fill=TRUE,col=classcolors[allcounties$group])
map('state', lwd=2, add=TRUE)

> Sure. Just start with
> map('county')
> instead.
> I like to add something like:
> map('state', lwd=3, add=TRUE)

I am trying:
### My criterion for all counties in the US:
allcounties<-data.frame(county=map('county', plot=FALSE)$names)
allcounties$group<-sample(1:5,3082,replace=TRUE)
### My colors:
classcolors <- rainbow(5)
### Trying to build the map - not working:
map(database='usa',regions='county',fill=TRUE,col=classcolors[allcounties$group])

--
Dimitri Liakhovitski
marketfusionanalytics.com