[R] Portfolio Optimization

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 13 21:56:35 CET 2012

I would be biased towards using a heuristic, for instance Threshold
Accepting (TA), for solving such a problem. (TA is implemented in
package NMOF. Disclosure: I am the author of that package.) But you will
not find a ready-to-use solution there.

(1) you need an objective function, ie, a function that maps a given
vector of holdings (and data like your scenario matrix) into a real
number; the better the portfolio, the lower the number.

(2) For TA, you need a so-called neighbourhood function. That is a
function that changes one portfolio vector into another, by changing
some elements. Examples for simple neighbourhoods are in the package
vignettes. Do you have a budget constraint? If yes, and you want to work
with integers, I would suggest using a "cash" variable. (See, eg,
Algorithm 3 in http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch/rp20.pdf )

(3) The constraints can, at least in a first round, be included through
penalties.

Regards,
Enrico

PS. There is a mailing list dedicated to finance-with-R questions, and
you may get better answers there.

Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland
http://nmof.net/