[R] general question on Spotfire

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Jan 15 18:51:39 CET 2012

On 12.01.2012 17:38, Frank Harrell wrote:
> As a slight aside, Tibco/Spotfire originally planned to provide a capability
> to load R packages into S-Plus.  This always seemed to me to be a hard thing
> to do, and if my understanding is correct, this proved to be too difficult
> to do in S-Plus, at  least for large packages such as mine.

Frank,

this dates back to the times of Insightful. They already did that and
had a module that allowed to load R packages. Of course, they had to be
S-PLUS compatible (which is not really easy any more if package authors
made use of R functionality that exceed the features of S-PLUS). They
even had hired people to make some R packages S-PLUS compatible,
R2WinBUGS was just one example that was available from their "CSAN"
repositories. (Nowadays R2WInBUGS is no longer S-PLUS compatible, since
the authors do not care too much and do not have S-PLUS licenses to
check it.)

Best,
Uwe