[R] Trouble installing packages on R2.14.1

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 02:44:07 CET 2012

Crawford Mark <Mark.Crawford <at> derm.qld.gov.au> writes:

> Hi,
> Have just recently downloaded R version 2.14.1 and can't install
> packages (Code below),  32bit version on windows. From the looks of
> things access is the problem but I don't know where to start, would it
> be my system that is the problem or is the repository not set up for the
> latest version yet?
> Any ideas on how to rectify the problem would be greatly appreciated
> Cheers
> > utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.csiro.au/bin/windows/contrib/2.14
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.14
> Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA, type
> = type) :
>   no packages were specified
> In addition: Warning message:
> In open.connection(con, "r") :
>   unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

  Given that you are unable to reach either repository,
and that both are mainstream (and that I have no trouble
connecting to the CSIRO repository or seeing the other one),
I suspect you are having network and/or firewall troubles.
I believe there is some Windows-specific troubleshooting advice
in the R for Windows FAQ ...