[R] BLAS

Scott Raynaud scott.raynaud at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 15:06:47 CET 2012

I'm setting up an Ubuntu virtual machine that will use 4-Intel Xeon CPU x5650.
I'd like to compile R with a BLAS but the question is whcih one.  Seems
like the only free ones are GotoBLAS which I'm not sure is being maintained
for newer CPUs and OpenBLAS for Loongson CPUs.  I saw a favorable report
on OpenBLAS (http://www.rochester.edu/college/gradstudents/jolmsted/files/computing/BLAS_Comparison.pdf),
but I'm not sure it's the right thing for my CPUs.  The webpage for OpenBLAS
says, "On X86 box, compile this library for loongson3a CPU."  Any opinions
on whether this will work?  If not, any suggestions on another free BLAS?