[R] Prediciting sports team scores

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Tue Jan 17 17:47:51 CET 2012

Robin Lock at St Lawrence has done this for hockey, see
http://it.stlawu.edu/~chodr/faq.html

As I recall, he has a poisson regression model with parameters for
offense and defense, and perhaps home 'field' advantage.

I confess I am skeptical that this is the right approach for football
- teams adjust their strategy and tactics as a function of the
opponent and the current match score.  Teams are trying to maximize
the probability of getting a result, not the probability of scoring
goals.  The poisson model corresponds to a constant rate for scoring.

albyn