[R] breakpoints and nonlinear regression

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jan 18 06:49:25 CET 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, crimsonengineer87 wrote:

> Thanks for the comments everyone. I was hoping to not have to find someone in
> the stats department ... well, we'll see.
>
> So in response to Z's comment ... I have tried breakpoints(Na ~ yield)
> and I did expect to get something continuous.

You won't. The result may be close to continuous (depending on your data)
but there is no inherent continuity restriction.

That's what "segmented" does (that Rolf already pointed to). See

Vito M. R. Muggeo (2008). segmented: an R Package to Fit Regression Models
with Broken-Line Relationships. R News, 8/1, 20-25. URL
http://CRAN.R-project.org/doc/Rnews/.