[R] Reshape with multiple aggregate functions

pengcafe feki_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:06:21 CET 2012

I have a data frame and I would like to reshape it to wide format while at
the same time applying different aggregate functions to each column AND at
times multiple aggregate functions:

test1 = data.frame(
        id = c(rep('101',8),rep('102',8)),
        phase  = rep(c('D','D','L','L'),4),
        day = rep(c('1','1','1','1','2','2','2','2'),2),
        col1 = c(rep(1,8),rep(2,8)),
        col2 = c(runif(8,min=0,max=1),runif(8,min=0,max=10))
        )

In this example, I would like to end up with 2 rows (for the 2 ids) and
different columns for phase-day. Values of col1 should just be summed and
for col 2 there should be a column with the mean AND one with standard
deviation for each phase-day combination.

Obviously the real data have much more number of columns therefore I guess I
will need to provide a list of functions?

Thank you in advance!