[R] What does the : operator mean in glm formulas

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 15:04:04 CET 2012

On Jan 19, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Xiaobo Gu wrote:

>> Such a model consists of a series of terms separated by +operators.
> In the above ,term means individual variable.
>
>> The terms themselves consist of variable and factor names separated
>> by : operators.
> What does term mean in this?
>
>> Such a term is interpreted as the interaction of all the variables
>> and factors appearing in the term.
>
> What does interaction mean, and what does term mean here ?

I'm sorry. This is the wrong list to request tutoring in basic
statistics. If you don't know what an interaction is, it suggests that
you do not have sufficient education to safely use R or any other
statistics package for that matter. You should go back to any basic
regression textbook (or perhaps do a web-search) and do sufficient
self-study to answer that question.

--
David.

> Xiaobo Gu
>
> From: David Winsemius
> Date: 2012-01-19 21:46
> To: guxiaobo1982
> CC: r-help; ds5j
> Subject: Re: [R] What does the : operator mean in glm formulas
>
> On Jan 19, 2012, at 8:02 AM, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I see the following is the credit scoreing in R guide :
>>
>> m2<-glm(formula = good_bad ~ checking + duration + history+ purpose
>> +amount + savings + employed + installp + marital +
>> coapp +age + other + depends + telephon + foreign +checking:amount
>>
>> What does checking:amount mean?
>
> ?formula
>
> --
>
> David Winsemius, MD