[R] Alaska and Hawaii map data?

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jan 19 20:54:42 CET 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Kevin Burton wrote:
> I can plot each county of the contiguous 48 states or all of them using
> variations of
>

> map('county', region=c('wisconsin' . . . .)
>

> in the maps package. I was wondering whether similar data was available for
> Alaska and Hawaii? I was also wondering if there was a database that listed
> FIPS codes for the counties in Alaska and Hawaii. Similar to 'county.fips'.

None of these is part of the maps package.  Sorry.

The good news is that maps is a *source* package, so if you need new functionality, you
are quite at liberty to add it yourself.

Further, there are other mapping (and more general 'spatial') packages available, that may
provide such functionality.  See the CRAN spatial taskview at:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

Ray Brownrigg