[R] Bayesian data analysis recommendations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 20 01:07:23 CET 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, C W wrote:

> I am trying to learn Bayesian inference and Bayesian data analysis, I am
> new in the field.  Would any experts on the list recommend any good sites
> or materials for beginners?
>
> My approach is to learn and understand the theory first, then program
> on my own using R, though I see there are already packages.

   I'm far from an expert, but why not avoid re-inventing the wheel while you
learn? Buy and read Jim Albert's "Bayesian Computation with R".

   If you're a population ecologist (or willing to extend pesented examples
and ideas to communities and ecosystems), Ben Bolker's "Ecological Models
and Data in R" explains when Bayesian and frequentist approaches each have
advantages over the other.

Rich