[R] Bayesian data analysis recommendations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 20 01:28:45 CET 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, C W wrote:

> I agree, there are many nice packages, but what if the package changes in
> a few years?  I would have no idea what is going on!  I've heard from
> predecessor in the industry who emphasize the learning, not just plug and
> chug.

> I really want to learn the material and understand it, above all, it is
> interesting.

   You'll learn the underlying theory from these books; the R code is the
chosen medium for examples that illustrate the theory.

   In the F/OSS world when packages are released in new versions they are
either backwards compatible (to prevent breaking existing applications) or
they provide plenty of notice of incompatibility. You can also read the
source to see how it works and run diff on the sources to pick up
diffenrences.

> I am looking more towards Bayesian statistics or Bayesian inference.  I am
> in statistics graduate school, though not my field, the biology
> application could help in the understand I suppose?

   If you're a mathematical statistician the biological/ecological examples
may or may not be of value to you. It all depends on what you plan to do
with your degree.

Rich