[R] Calling update on an lm-object inside a function

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Jan 23 10:44:09 CET 2012

Dear Soren,

I would try adding the new variable to the dataset and use the data = argument of lm

foo <- function(mod, data){
   data$y3 <- c(1,3,3,4,6)
   update(mod, y3 ~ ., data = data)
}
x <- 1:5
y <- c(1,2,3,3,6)
dataset <- data.frame(x = x, y = y)
mm <- lm(y~x, data = dataset)
foo(mm, dataset)

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey