[R] problems with FEAR

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 19:43:03 CET 2012

Uwe Ligges <ligges <at> statistik.tu-dortmund.de> writes:

> On 23.01.2012 15:12, Gilda Mazzarelli wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > I'va tried to install the routine FEAR in R, to compute DEA estimates for
> > an academic work.
> > I've downloaded and installed R (the last version 2.14.1) from
> > http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN, and then I've downloaded FEAR, I've saved
> > it on the desktop, and following the instruction I've installed it on R
> > (from "Install package(S) from local zip files..).
> > After this, my R console window within R GUI appears as follow:
> >
> >> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> > package ‘FEAR’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> >> library(FEAR)
> > Errore: package ‘FEAR’ is not installed for 'arch=i386'
>  >

> Sounds like this package was not built for R for Windows or for an
> ancient version of it. Since I FEAR we do not have access to your FEAR,
> we can only guess....
>
> Uwe Ligges

  Couldn't resist, could you ?

  googling "FEAR DEA R" gives this:

http://www.clemson.edu/economics/faculty/wilson/Software/FEAR/fear.html

  You have to accept a click-through academic-use-only, no-redistribution,
no-reverse-engineering, no-developing-copies license: "[you may not] use
the software to develop copycat or functionally equivalent technology or
derivative technologies based on the methods employed in the software" ...

  I would contact the package maintainer about this problem, since by imposing
these kinds of licensing restrictions he has probably moved outside
the area of interest of most active R developers/helpers ...