[R] Self organising map - label the best matching unit

markm0705 markm0705 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:32:17 CET 2012

Dear R helpers

I'm experimenting with the 'kohonen' package and have two questions.  I've
been following examples in the package manual and the paper from the Journal
of Geostatistical software (October 2007, Volume 21, Issue 5.).

I've set up  a file with the 'animals' data (see attached file) which I used
test a SOM routine I wrote in Fortran some years ago.

The R- kohonen SOM works very nicely but I would like to map the the data to
the 'best-matching-unit' on the SOM and plot the animal labels on the SOM,
which is the final important part of the demonstration.

I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction to achieve this.

Regards

Mark

The R-script I have coded and data file are attached
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4325567/120121_Animals_SOM.R
120121_Animals_SOM.R
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4325567/Animals.dat Animals.dat