[R] How do I compare 47 GLM models with 1 to 5 interactions and unique combinations?

Jhope jeanwaijang at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 05:41:58 CET 2012

Hi R-listers,

I have developed 47 GLM models with different combinations of interactions
from 1 variable to 5 variables. I have manually made each model separately
and put them into individual tables (organized by the number of variables)
showing the AIC score. I want to compare all of these models.

1) What is the best way to compare various models with unique combinations
and different number of variables?
2) I am trying to develop the most simplest model ideally. Even though
adding another variable would lower the AIC, how do I interpret it is worth
it to include another variable in the model? How do I know when to stop?

Definitions of Variables:
HTL - distance to high tide line (continuous)
Veg - distance to vegetation
Aeventexhumed - Event of exhumation
Sector - number measurements along the beach
Rayos - major sections of beach (grouped sectors)
TotalEggs - nest egg density

Example of how all models were created:
Model2.glm <- glm(cbind(Shells, TotalEggs-Shells) ~ Aeventexhumed,
data=data.to.analyze, family=binomial)
Model7.glm <- glm(cbind(Shells, TotalEggs-Shells) ~ HTL:Veg, family =
binomial, data.to.analyze)
Model21.glm <- glm(cbind(Shells, TotalEggs-Shells) ~ HTL:Veg:TotalEggs,
data.to.analyze, family = binomial)
Model37.glm <- glm(cbind(Shells, TotalEggs-Shells) ~
HTL:Veg:TotalEggs:Aeventexhumed, data.to.analyze, family=binomial)

Please advise, thanks!