[R] function restrictedparts

Matt Shotwell matt at biostatmatt.com
Wed Jan 25 19:43:52 CET 2012

That's because the number of partitions of 281 items of order 10 is
quite large:

R> library('partitions')
R> R(10,281)
[1] 1218681472

Without thinking about this too hard, the result of
restrictedparts(281,10) should require around

R> 1218681472 * 10 * 4 / 10^9
[1] 48.74726

gigabytes of storage space (because the result is a 1218681472 x 10
array of 4 byte integers).

Because the number of partitions grows 'explosively' with the number of
items, this is a serious obstacle for statistical partitioning and
clustering methods. For more discouragement, see the 'Bell number'.

You can enumerate these restricted partitions one by one; see

R> ?partitions::nextpart

Matt