[R] How do I compare 47 GLM models with 1 to 5 interactions and unique combinations?

Rubén Roa rroa at azti.es
Fri Jan 27 14:50:14 CET 2012

-----Mensaje original-----
De: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] En nombre de Frank Harrell
Enviado el: viernes, 27 de enero de 2012 14:28
Para: r-help at r-project.org
Asunto: Re: [R] How do I compare 47 GLM models with 1 to 5 interactions and unique combinations?

Ruben, I'm not sure you are understanding the ramifications of what Bert said.  In addition you are making several assumptions implicitly:

--
Ruben: Frank, I guess we are going nowhere now.
But thanks anyways. See below if you want.

1. model selection is needed (vs. fitting the full model and using shrinkage)
Ruben: Nonlinear mechanistic models that are too complex often just don't converge, they crash. No shrinkage to apply to a failed convergence model.

2. model selection works in the absence of shrinkage
Ruben: I think you are assuming that shrinkage is necessary.

3. model selection can find the "right" model and the features selected would be the same features selected if the data were slightly perturbed or a new sample taken
Ruben: I don't make this assumption. New data, new model.

4. AIC tells you something that P-values don't (unless using structured multiple degree of freedom tests)
Ruben: It does.

 5. parsimony is good
Ruben: It is.

None of these assumptions is true.  Model selection without shrinkage
(penalization) seems to offer benefits but this is largely a mirage.

Ruben: Have a good weekend!

Ruben

Rubén Roa wrote

-----