[R] Need very fast application of 'diff' - ideas?

Kevin Ummel kevinummel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 18:28:34 CET 2012

Thanks. I've played around with pure R solutions. The fastest re-write of diff (for the 1 lag case) I can seem to find is this:

diff2 = function(x) {
  y = c(x,NA) - c(NA,x)
  y[2:length(x)]
}

#Compiling via 'cmpfun' doesn't seem to help (or hurt):
require(compiler)
diff2 = cmpfun(diff2)

But that only gets ~10% improvement over default 'diff' on my machine. Still too slow for my particular application.

I'm inclined towards Michael's suggestion of inline+Rcpp (or some other use of C under the hood).

Could someone show me how to go about doing that?

Thanks!
Kevin