[R] Euler identity with complex exp

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:47:56 CET 2012

Not sure why you think the formula does not hold... but am guessing
you think that sin(x) and cos(x) are have values in [-1, 1]? Well that
only holds for real x. If you have a complex x, sin(x) and cos(x) are
unbounded - indeed, if you can write x=iy and y is real, you can show
(up to my own ignorance of possible signs) cos(x) = cosh(y), and
sin(x) = -sinh(y) simply by expressing (from the formula you wrote)
cos(x) and sin(x) as

cos(x) = ( exp(ix) + exp(-ix) )/2
and sin(x) = ( exp(ix) - exp(-ix) )/2

In any case, plug any complex number into
exp( ix )
and
cos x + i sin x

in R and you will get the exact same answers.

HTH,

Peter