[R] rpart usersplits

jcress410 justin.cress at uky.edu
Mon Jan 30 20:08:41 CET 2012

I'm inspecting tests/usersplits.R in rpart, trying to get my head around how
to pass data to the split function.

I'm trying to instantiate a number of goodness measures which compare
treatment vs control within splits.

A simple example is difference-in-difference estimate of a candidate split,

(Y_t - Y_c)_L - (Y_t - Y_c)_R
(difference between treatment and control for the left minus difference
between treatment and control for the right)

I need to know whether each Y value is a treatment Y or a control.
the documentation in usersplits.R says that Y is provided in sort order of
X, so I'm not sure how to pass a vector indicating treatment vs control that
will split Y appropriately.

rpart.poisson takes a two column matrix as an input, and I've been trying to
mimic that, but there's no documentation in rpart.poisson (i can't figure
out where it creates the 'vector of goodness')

I'd appreciate any advice,

J. Cress