[R] Checking for invalid dates: Code works but needs improvement

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Jan 30 20:38:54 CET 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2012, at 12:15 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>

>> On Jan 30, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Paul Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rui, Marc, and Gabor,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your replies to my question. All were helpful and it was interesting to see how different people approach various aspects of the same problem.
>>>
>>> Spent some time this weekend looking at Rui's solution, which is certainly much clearer than my own. Managed to figure out pretty much all the details of how it works. Also managed to tweak it slightly in order to make it do exactly what I wanted. (See revised code below.)
>>>
>>> Still have a couple of questions though. The first concerns the insertion of the code "Y > 2012" to set year values beyond 2012 to NA (on line 10 of the function below).  When I add this (or use it in place of "nchar(Y) > 4"), the code succesfully finds the problem date "05/16/2015". After that though, it produces the following error message:
>>>
>>> Error in if (any(is.na(x) & M != "un" & Y != "un")) cat("Warning: Invalid date values in",  :  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>>
>> It's a bit dangerous to use comparison operators on mixed data types. In your case you are comparing a character value to a numeric value and may not realize that 2015 is not the same as "2015". Try "123" > 1000 if you want a quick counter-example. You may want to coerce the Y value to "numeric" mode to be safe.
>>
>> Also 'any' does not expect the logical connectives. You probably want:
>>
>> any(is.na(x) , M != "un" , Y != "un")
>

> Perhaps I am missing something relevant here, but I am still confused by what I see as an over engineering of the code being implemented. If the primary requirements are:
>
> 1. Impute the 15th of month if it is 'un'
> 2. Reject dates prior to 1900 or after 2011
> 3. Reject dates with an unknown ('un') month or year
> 4. Reject years with >4 digits, also presuming that the value passed should always be 10 characters in length
>
> If that is the basic functionality required, then a modest modification of my prior code should work:

Ack...typo in my code for the upper end of the date range. Should be:

checkDate <- function(x) {

 # Replace unknown day with 15
 tmp <- gsub("/un/", "/15/", x)

 tmp2 <- as.Date(tmp, format = "%m/%d/%Y")

 as.character(x[is.na(tmp2) |
              tmp2 < as.Date("1900/01/01") |
              tmp2 > as.Date("2011/12/31") |
              nchar(as.character(x)) > 10])