[R] Wrapper function for multivariate arrays for ode

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 14:30:24 CEST 2012

On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:09 PM, Tjun Kiat Teo wrote:

> I am trying to to write a wrapper function for the ode solver (under
> the package desolve) to enable it to take multivariate arrays. I know
> how to do it for 1 dimension arrays but my code breaks down when I try
> to do it for 2 dimensional arrays. Here is my code
>

> diffwrap<-function(t,y,mu)vdpol(t=t,A[1:3,1:4]<-y[1:12],B[1:12]<-
> y[13:24],mu=mu)

I do not know whether this explains your problems , but it generally
is very dangerous practice to have items in function argument lists
like: A[1:3,1:4]<-y[1:12] and B[1:12]<-y[13:24]

I've often received similar messages when I mistaken entered "<-"
rather than "=" in that situation.

The code runs with this definition (after loading pkg:deSolve rather
than 'desolve'):

diffwrap<-function(t,y,mu) vdpol(t=t, A = matrix(y[1:12], 3,4),
B=y[13:24], mu=mu)

Whether the output is sensible mathematically is beyond my knowledge,

--
David