[R] About nlminb function

Freddy Hernández fhernanb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 18:37:34 CEST 2012

Hello

I want to use the nlminb function but I have the objective function like
characters. I can summarize the problem using the first example in the
nlminb documentation.

x <- rnbinom(100, mu = 10, size = 10)
hdev <- function(par)   -sum(dnbinom(x, mu = par[1], size = par[2], log =
TRUE))
nlminb(c(9, 12), objective=hdev)

With the last instructions we obtain appropriate results. If I have the name
of the objective function stored in the element name, how can modify the
next two instructions to obtain the same above results?

name <- 'hdev'
nlminb(c(9, 12), objective=name)

Thanks for the reply.

Freddy.