[R] 7 days confusion over lists

Thu Jul 5 17:33:34 CEST 2012

I think you need to (re)read the posting guide and "An Introduction to R" and try posting again. Some food for thought:

a) You refer to "list files", but this is not a standard term. As the PG says, you need to supply a self-contained example, which would either include internal objects in dput form, or text data in strings read as though from files (e.g. use the "text" argument).

b) You may benefit from using indexing by character strings rather than numeric index to avoid mixups in sequencing.

c) I think "Crop$" is a typo?

d) The claim that "it stops accepting the assigned values" is more likely to be an error on your part than R being arbitrary. I may be going out on a limb here, but be sure you understand that modifications to data within functions are local, and you have to explicitly return changes if you want them to persist after the function returns.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing