[R] trouble installing Rmpi on a debian machine

p_connolly at slingshot.co.nz p_connolly at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Jul 6 02:04:32 CEST 2012

Quoting Erin Hodgess <erinm.hodgess at gmail.com>:

> Dear R People:
>
> I'm having trouble installing Rmpi on a debian machine.
>
> Here is my output:
> bccd at node000:~$ /bccd/home/bccd
> bccd at node000:~$
> bccd at node000:~$ export RMPI_TYPE=OPENMPI
> bccd at node000:~$ R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-9.tar.gz
> * installing to library '/bccd/home/bccd/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.15'

[...]

> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Rmpi'
> * removing '/bccd/home/bccd/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.15/Rmpi'
> bccd at node000:~$
>
> Now the strangest thing is that I installed Rmpi on a Rocks Cluster on
> Tuesday with no trouble.
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I suspect you omitted a few deb packages before you started.  I have
some notes
I made a few years ago when I installed Rmpi on a Kubuntu machine, so
it should
be fairly similar to yours.  Make the appropriate changes if you use something
different from aptitude for handling packages.

sudo aptitude install openmpi-common
sudo aptitude install openmpi-binsudo
sudo aptitude install libhdf5-openmpi-1.6.6-0
sudo aptitude install libhdf5-openmpi-dev
sudo aptitude install openmpi-bin

HTH

Patrick