[R] Is R BOOT package available for 2.15.1 version for Mac OS?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 20:03:51 CEST 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:46 AM, SergeyHC wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I am trying to install boot package in order to do bootstrap
> analysis with
> R. I am trying to use the following command:
>

> install.packages("/var/folders/++/++53BE++6+0++4RjPqRgNE+-lHI/-Tmp-//
> Rtmpvmc3aE/downloaded_packages")
>
> But get the following message:
>
> package
> ‘/var/folders/++/++53BE++6+0++4RjPqRgNE+-lHI/-Tmp-//Rtmpvmc3aE/
> downloaded_packages’
> is not available (for R version 2.15.1)

Function arguments in R have names. If you choose not to use those
names, then the positions of the argument list are used instead and
you have given install.packages a 'pkgs' argument that it cannot do
anything with. The names should have been "boot". If you are
installing from local files you need to set contriburl to NULL.

BUT,... I'm guessing you already _did_ the install and simply need to
use:

library(boot)

That's because when I did an install just now I get:

 > install.packages("boot")
Installing package(s) into ‘/Users/davidwinsemius/Library/R/2.14/
library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14/boot_1.3-4.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 464130 bytes (453 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 453 Kb

The downloaded packages are in
	/var/folders/xS/xSUsVXTIHEiP7OLJg2OXmU+++TI/-Tmp-//RtmphYSlox/
downloaded_packages

Notice that message at the end? It's pretty much useless. But it does
indicate that the package was downloaded and installed

> Is it really not available, or I am not doing something right.

Why aren't you using the GUI Package Installer? It's very nice and
lets you use either binary or source packages ... but I'm guessing
from your lack of understanding in this instance that your should be
using the binary packages.