[R] NADA Data Frame Format: Wide or Long?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 7 15:02:01 CEST 2012

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, MacQueen, Don wrote:

> So what you're faced with is that the cenros() function has no built-in
> methods for grouping or subsetting -- unlike some other R methods,
> especially those that work with the lattice package, or the many modeling
> functions like lm() that have a subset argument or employ a conditioning
> syntax for models [like y ~ x | g ]. In effect, this means you have to
> roll your own.

> This is obviously just an outline.

Don,

   Yes, I do need to work out how best to address the needs of two current
projects. This will take some time as I've not before needed to work with
censored data (regulators tend to focus on only threshold exceedences). As a
result, I'll be re-reading Dennis's book (the second edition) and the
NADA.pdf, defining exactly what I need, trying various approaches, and
certainly coming back here for advice and suggestions.

   One thing I noticed a couple of days ago is that I could use cenboxplot()
for chemical concentrations by period, but could not figure out how to
change the x axis lables from Pre and Post (or Before and After, I forget
the exact terms) to more meaningful terms.

   This will be an interesting journey and a great education for me.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   Integrity - Credibility - Innovation
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |    Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures