[R] Notation for previous observation in a data frame

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 08:08:48 CEST 2012

Hi Ernie,

I'll use the built in mtcars dataset for demonstrative purposes.

You have some condition, which can be used to create an index

## show data frame
mtcars
## create index based on your condition
i <- which(mtcars$carb == 1)
## set those rows of mtcars in your index
## to the index - 1
mtcars[i, ] <- mtcars[i - 1, ]
## show resulting data frame
mtcars

note that if your condition grabs the first row, this will wreck havoc.

Cheers,

Josh