[R] additive interaction for a dichotomous dependent variable (i.e. risk difference)

wouterjohannes w.peyrot at ggzingeest.nl
Mon Jul 9 14:18:10 CEST 2012

Dear all,

For my research I want to test additive interaction for a dichotomous
dependent variable. Can anyone help me to estimate this in R?

Wacholder describes this procedure in the American Journal of Epidemiology
in 1986 (Binomial regression in GLIM: estimating risk ratios and risk
differences). He, however, describes macros for GLIM and not for R. Others
(Uher et al. Journal of Affective disorders. 2011) also use his method and
describe it as follows:

It has been proposed that gene–environment interactions (G×E) should be
conceptualized as departures from additivity of risks between genetic and
environmental factors, as such departures most likely correspond to
biological causal mechanisms involving both genetic and environmental
factors (Rothman et al., 2008; Schwartz, 2006). To follow this
recommendation, we tested G×E in a generalized linear model from the
binomial family with identity link estimating risk differences for binary
outcomes (Wacholder, 1986).

My question is: how can I test for additive interaction in R? In the glm
package the binomial family and identity link do not seem to go together.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wouter Johannes