[R] differences between survival models between STATA and R

jthetzel jthetzel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 18:11:47 CEST 2012

UCLA's Advanced Technical Services' Statistical Computing website often has
very good resources for comparing analyses between R, Stata, and SAS (
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat ). For accelerated failure time models, I
believe that it has some examples for Stata (
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/asa/asastata8.htm ), but not for
R.  However, the Stata examples, to the best of my knowledge, use Hosmer and
Lemeshow's HMO HIV data from their 1998 Applied Survival Analysis text,
which happens to be available at
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/R/examples/asa/hmohiv.csv .  Thus, you can try
reproducing UCLA's Stata AFT examples in R, and post the results here as a
reproducible example to illustrate what is confusing you.

For example:

Yields:

Which you can compare to the following from the UCLA website:

And then describe to r-help which discrepancies between the R and Stata
output are confusing you.

Regards,
Jeremy

JPF wrote

> Dear Community,
>
> I have been using two types of survival programs to analyse a data set.
>
> The first one is an R function called aftreg. The second one an STATA
> function called streg.
>
> Both of them include the same analyisis with a weibull distribution. Yet,
> results are very different.
>
> Shouldn't the results be the same?
>
> Kind regards,

-----