[R] significance test interquartile ranges

Schaber, Jörg joerg.schaber at med.ovgu.de
Sat Jul 14 13:35:03 CEST 2012

Thanks for your suggestions!
The Siegel Tukey test and the permutation test sound promising, indeed.

I applied the wilcoxon test already, but understood that it mainly tests differences in the medians (location), even though being sensitive to all kinds of differences between distributions, similar to the K-S test.
I once heard that the K-S test is more sensitive to differences in the tails between distributions, whereas the U-test is more sensitive to differences in location in general. Can some knowledgeable statistician comment on that?

I do not understand the concern of Brian, saying that the permutation test suggested by Greg tests equality in distribution. When the test statistic is the ratio of IQRs, the permutation test calucates the p-value of this ratio under the null hypothesis that group label does not matter, i.e. that they are equal, right? But I am probable not knowledgeable statistician enough to judge that.

best,

joerg