[R] HLOOKUP in R

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Mon Jul 16 18:04:55 CEST 2012

My understanding of HVLOOKUP, based on a through 30 second reading of some on-line documenation is that tht it sets up a grid "table?) of values and if one feeds it the value in the first horizontal vector and a row number it returns the value in that row.

so if df1[,10] == 15 and you want the value in the second row of the table you would feed in Hvlookput(15, 2) and would return the value in df1[2, 10]

Of course the values in df[1,] must be unique

One could put something lile this into a function to get what the op wants, I think

mda  <-  data.frame(rbind(hlp  <-  1:10, targ  <-  c(11:20)))
xx  <-  4
hvlook  <-  mda[2 ,  match(1, df1[, xx])    ]
hvlook

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada