[R] Imposing more than one condition to if

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Tue Jul 17 11:52:21 CEST 2012

Hello,

My code couldn't find the right input columns because your real data has
different names, it could only find the example dataset's names.

And there's another problem, my code would give correct answers with a
limted number of possible inputs and fail with real data.

Corrected:

f <- function(x){
     zrle <- rle(x$lig == 0)
     if(zrle$values[1]){
         idusk <- sum(zrle$lengths[1:2]) + 1
         idawn <- zrle$lengths[1] + 1
         x$dusk <- x$dtime[ idusk ]
         x$dawn <- x$dtime[ idawn ]
     }else{
         idusk <- zrle$lengths[1] + 1
         x$dusk <- x$dtime[ idusk ]
         x$dawn <- NA
     }
}

do.call(rbind, by(d, d$date, f))

One more thing, you are reading your dataset into a data.frame
forgetting that character strings become factors. Try str(d) to see it.
('d' is the data.frame.) You could/should coerce the date/time values to
appropriate classes, something like

d$time <- as.character(d$time)
d$time <- as.POSIXct(d$time, format="%d/%m/%y %H:%M:%S")
d$date <- as.character(d$date)
d$date <- as.Date(d$date, format="%d/%m/%y")

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas