[R] Power analysis for Cox regression with a time-varying covariate

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Jul 17 21:54:23 CEST 2012

Hi Greg and Paul,

I had initially contemplated a solution similar to Greg's, which is simulation.

However, I might just throw out, that if based upon Terry's comments, time varying covariates do not impact the power/sample size considerations for the Cox model, then Schoenfeld's 1983 article in Biometrics would be of value:

  Sample-Size Formula for the Proportional-Hazards Regression Model
  David A. Schoenfeld
  Biometrics, Vol. 39, No. 2. (Jun., 1983), pp. 499-503.

Another reference would be:

Sample-Size Calculations for the Cox Proportional Hazards Regression Model with Nonbinary Covariates
F.Y. Hsieh and Philip W. Lavori
Controlled Clinical Trials 21:552–560 (2000

A skillful Google search will find both available online if you don't have access otherwise.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz