[R] Building a web risk calculator based on Cox, PH--definitive method for calculating probability?

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:06:47 CEST 2012

Here is an example of how to do it.
 > library(survival)
 > vfit <- coxph(Surv(time, status) ~ celltype + trt, data=veteran)

 > userinput <- data.frame(celltype="smallcell", trt = 1)
 > usercurve <- survfit(vfit, newdata=userinput)  #the entire predicted
survival curve
 > user2 <- summary(usercurve, time= 2*365.25)    # 2 year time point
 > user2$surv
[1] 0.0007438084

Some comments:
  1. The summary function for survival curves was written so that people
could print out shorter summaries, but it works nicely for picking off a
particular time point.  Since the curve is a step function and there
isn't likely to be a step at exactly "x" years, this is a bit more work
to do yourself.  You might want to include the confidence limits in your
web report as well.

  2. Put the whole formula into your coxph call.  I have never ever
understood why people use the construct
      tempvar <- with(data, Surv(time, status))
      coxph(tempvar ~ age + sex + ....
It leaves you with harder to read code, poorer documentation (the
printout from coxph no longer shows the actual response variable), leads
to hard-to-diagnose failures for certain uses of predict, ... the list
goes on.  I have not yet thought of a single good reason for doing it
other than "because you can".

  3. Make the user data the same as the original.  In the veteran cancer
data set "trt" is a numeric 0/1 variable, you had it as a factor in the
new data set.

  4. Your should get your keyboard fixed -- it appears that the spacebar
is disabled when writing code  :-)

  5. If you plot the survival curve for the veterans cancer data set it
only reaches to about 2 1/2 years, so the summary for 5 years will
return NULL.

Terry Therneau