[R] tweaking forest plot (metafor package)

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Jul 19 11:12:10 CEST 2012

I think Michael already gave you some really good hints. To add a bit more details to this, first of all, I suggest to use:

q2 <- rma(yi, vi, mods=cbind(grupo), data=qim)
forest(q2, transf=transf.ztor, digits=3, alim=c(0,1), refline=.5, addfit=FALSE)

so that the fitted values for that categorical moderator are not actually shown in the plot yet. Then use:

par("usr")

after you create the forest plot. That will tell you what the xlim values are that were chosen by default (the first and second value). Start adjusting these values with the xlim argument to see how that expands and shrinks the horizontal space.

Next, try the following. Suppose you have k=20 observed correlations in total that will be shown in the forest plot. Then the default value for ylim (for a model that does includes a moderator, as you have) will be ylim=c(0.5, 23) (i.e., the second value is k+3). The first study will be placed in row 20 of the plot, the second in row 19, and so on, all the way down to row 1 for the 20th study. So, try this:

abline(h=20, lwd=3)
abline(h=1, lwd=3)

which will show you where that first and last study are being placed.

In row 21, the horizontal line is plotted. So try this:

abline(h=20, lwd=3)

which shows you where that line is being placed.

Rows 22 and 23 are for some extra white space at the top of the figure to add column headings (with the text() function). So try this:

text(par("usr")[1], 22, "Study", pos=4, font=2)
text(par("usr")[2], 22, "Cor [95% CI]", pos=2, font=2)

which will add column headings for the first and last column. Of course, you can adjust the value 22 to something slightly different (i.e., to adjust the vertical placement of the headings).

Now try using ylim=c(0.5, 30) in the call to forest(). You will see that a bunch of extra vertical space is added. The first study is still placed in row 20, going down again to row 1 for the 20th study. Confirm this with:

abline(h=20, lwd=3)
abline(h=1, lwd=3)

Now, you want to use the row argument to actually tell the forest() function where those studies should be placed. Try rows=c(25:21, 15:1) in the call to forest(), which will place study 1 in row 25, study 2 in row 24, going down to study 5 in row 21, and then study 6 in row 15, study 7 in row 14, going down to study 1 in row 1. Again, you can use something like:

abline(h=25, lwd=3)
abline(h=15, lwd=3)

to check on the vertical placement of the 1st and 6th study.

So now you have full control over the placement of the studies and you can add space as needed. Then you can use the addpoly() function to add summary polygons for the various levels of the "grupo" factor. I suggest carefully going through the last example in:

help(addpoly.default)

to see a detailed example of this.

Finally, to change the axis limits to .5 and 1, just use alim=c(0.5, 1) in the call to forest().

I hope this helps!

Best,

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology